7/14/08

Sustainable Summer Rains

The road runner outside my window reminds me of our prehistoric neighbors in time.  I am once again amazed and awed by the extreme diversity which is this southern desert.  With the monsoon season in full swing I see what sustainability really means.  The seeds which have been dormant in the clay packed earth are being brought to life with the nitrogen rich gift from the heavens.  The birds are singing with more glee and the sun seems to shine even brighter.  

The water can be monster like and when not prepared can take you away and mess up all sorts of things.  The garden has been very vulnerable and I learned a lesson in what it means to be prepared for this summer season of rain.   Yesterday I hiked into the Chiracahuas and was blessed with the sight of fresh rain water filling the bone dry creek which flows down the mountains.  It was a sight of immense proportion and glory.  While driving home, the sight of a massive water wall and sharp bright lightening bolts left a feeling of insecurity.  I've never seen anything like the cell which flooded our landscape and created ponds all over the land.  The frogs were barking so loud I couldn't even sleep.  

To harness the power of these rains seems to be the way to exist here i
n the desert.  To capture all this rain would mean only using a small amount from the groundwater aquifers which we use all too often.  A lot of work and research still needs to be done, but I feel reassured in living in the desert.  I feel like it's worth it all for the epic differences which occur in this natural world of wonder.  

No comments: